The Church's Benefactors
Here are boards and notices commemorating some of the church’s benefactors. In the days before state welfare, the church was an important source of support for those in need.
“Mr Edmund Hill in ye year 1679 gave £100 which is laid out on ye purchase of freehold land and now produces about £14 a year, whereof £3 is to be paid yearly for preaching of sermons, £3-10s distributed to the poor on Candlemas Day and ye remainder applied toward apprenticing children.
Mr Rob Tailor in 1702 by his will charged a certain tenement and land at Acton with ye payment of £5 yearly for ever for apprenticing a boy of this parish.
“Sir John Smith Bart. in 1715 in compliance with the charitable intention of his Lady whilst living, charged part of this manor with the perpetual payment of £20 a year for endowing two schools in the parish to impart £20 children year in reading and the church catechism.
The Rev Thomas Prigg, Clerk, late of this parish, in 1686 gave a large Silver Flagon Cup and Plate for ye communion.”