The Nave and its ceiling
The ribbed wooden ceiling is typical of this locality; it resembles an upturned boat: hence the word “Nave”, from the Latin “navis” meaning a boat. The three sections nearest the tower are all that survived the fire of 1863.
Notice the niche high in the wall opposite the door, where an image of St. James probably stood. The windows date from late 15th and the 16th century.
The octagonal pillars and arches were put in during the fifteenth century extension. The large squint in the south respond of the chancel arch allows worshippers in the south aisle to have a glimpse of the altar.